Kankuro has blue eyes and azure hair. He wears a black military uniform with over-sized sleeves (manga); covering his hands. Besides being an exorcist, he is also a doctor to the residents and exorcists residing in the island; where he wears traditional doctor's clothes. After an accident in the past which forced him to purify an impurity at the cost of his students' lives, he started wearing a face mask.
Underneath his mask, the seal of the Impurity Eater is shown on his mouth in the form of stitches and is eventually removed during his battle with Rokuro. When using the Impurity Eater, his teeth temporarily become sharp (though, not as sharp as Rokuro's).
Kankuro is a calm and easygoing person; but tends to get mad if he senses that he is being underestimated.
He is considered to be one of the kindest members of the Twelve Guardians, a notable example of his kindness is during his time with the sick children of the Sahanasaki Class with Kengo noting that the children were happy to having been touched by his warmth. He is very caring towards the Sahanasaki Class, to the point of being too focused on teaching and spending time with them rather than his own training, as mentioned by one of the nurses. However, after their deaths by his own hand, he became emotionally scarred for years, which resulted in him sealing the Impurity Eater and never used it again until his battle with Rokuro.
Kankuro greatly despised the Impurity Eater, the same technique he used to kill the impurity along with the children it took as hostages, because to him, it is nothing but a curse which symbolizes his abominable memory and the weakness inside him. This also means that he hates himself, to the point where Kengo stated he is fighting in a way to suggest he doesn't care if he dies. However, thanks to Rokuro and Kengo, he is finally able to move on from his past and accept the power he once despised.
It is often shown that he likes to tease Kengo by calling him "Ken-chan" (which is his nickname during childhood). He often uses Kengo as his test subject for his experiments (possibly dissecting since he uses a scalpel), he once tricked him into accepting his offer of aid to quickly cure his illness, which results in Kengo comically becoming traumatized and afraid of Kankuro as a doctor.
In the anime, he shows interest in dissecting impurities. Much of his past was not revealed.
In the past, Kankuro was a doctor that treated sick children with exorcist related problems and taught them exorcism. One day, he took them outside of the hospital and to where Kengo was working as security for the island.
However, an impurity was able to break through without being detected and took the children as hostages, making Kankuro choose whether to protect the island or children. To the plea of an injured Kengo, he chose the island and used Impurity Eater to kill the impurity, along with the children, thus saving the island.
Ever since then, he covered his mouth with a mask to seal Impurity Eater.
Powers and Abilities
- Azure Flash, Dragon Clarity (青閃龍冴 Seisen Ryūgo?): After enchanting his gloves with Dragon Scales, Expose Charm (竜鱗顕符 Ryūrin Genpu?), Kankuro manifests a pair of scaled gauntlets.
- Free Will of the Rising Frost Dragon (霜天龍驤之自在 Sōten Ryūjō no Jizai?): The gauntlets extend with such speed that they pierce through targets. They can also turn at sharp angles while extending.
- Soukyu Ryubi no Kaigyaku (蒼穹龍眉之諧謔 Sōkyū Ryūbi no Kaigyaku?, lit. Banter of the Azure Sky Dragon): 
- Tenkei Ryuho no Senbu (天景龍袍之旋舞 Tenkei Ryūhō no Senbu?, lit. Spiral Dance of the Heavenly Dragon): 
- Kyoukugi - Kenran Ryuoh no Toga (究極術技 絢爛龍王之凍牙 Kyokugi - Kenran Ryūō no Tōga?, lit. Ultimate Skill - Radiant Dragon King's Ice Fangs): 
- Ryuen no Ho - Impurity Eater (龍嚥之法 ケガレ喰い Ryūen no Hō Kegare-gui?): 
- In Chapter 46, Kankuro states to Rokuro that while he and Seigen Amawaka have never actually fought each other, he felt that he could win against Seigen when using Impurity Eater.
- During that same fight, Rokuro stated his belief of surpassing his old teacher by beating Kankuro.
- In the manga, his uniform is portrayed to have longer sleeves; long enough to cover his hands entirely.
- ↑ Twin Star Exorcists Manga: Chapter 30, Page 27
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Twin Star Exorcists Manga: Chapter 40
- ↑ Twin Star Exorcists Manga: Chapter 31, Pages 16-17
- ↑ Twin Star Exorcists Manga: Chapter 44, Page 11
- ↑ Twin Star Exorcists Manga: Chapter 44, Page 13
- ↑ Twin Star Exorcists Manga: Chapter 46, Pages 16-17